Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:09:25 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Richard writes:
> >If the law is passed in Norway, no one will be able to advertise, accept
> >payment for work,  use the titles, or in anyway perform any tasks of a
> >piano
> >tech in any commercial sense unless they have authorised  certification
> >from
> >the acrediting authorities in Norway.
>
> Greetings,
>      This is, imho, a nightmarish direction.  I am more comfortable with the
> free market determining what it gets, and have no desire for government to
> control any more of my life than it already does.
>    Also, who is going to be doing the teaching and who is going to certify
> them?
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

The State University Schools system will be responsible for accrediting schools
and curiculum. The Instructors would be individuals who are already approved
with acreditation in the piano industry, woodworking industry, and furniture
industry. These later two are already controlled in similiar fashion.

I have no problem with the idea as long as it can be shown to function well, and
that the schooling is adequate. As I said, Finland has a similiar law already in
place, and to my knowledge it functions well. Also Germany has some kind of
regulatory system, and it is possible to aquire a Master Piano Builders degree.
The examination is administered and graded by the University system.

I am doubtfull that such a system would be workable in the USA. It goes kinda
contrary to the American notion about what freedom is about. But its probably
the only way of addressing  (from a restrictive point of view) the kinds of
fears and problems disscussed in the CD Journal postings

Richard Brekne
ICPTG