Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:30:04 +0200

GPRogers1@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 6/17/99 3:21:54 AM Central Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
> writes:
>
> << If the law is passed in Norway, no one will be able to advertise, accept
>  payment for work,  use the titles, or in anyway perform any tasks of a piano
>  tech in any commercial sense unless they have authorised  certification from
>  the acrediting authorities in Norway.
>
>  Richard Brekne
>  ICPTG >>
>
> This has been considered in the US but has been found to be unworkable and is
> generally not desired by the members of our profession.  What we do is
> considered more on the level of an art or craft rather than an essential
> service such as performed by an electrician, plumber or auto mechanic.  A
> mistake made in piano work generally wouldn't be a matter of concern for
> public safety.  The market itself limits those whose practices are
> substandard.

I understand the point. And it is completely valid in itself. There is no safety
issue involved. There does remain the question as to whether or not unqualified
persons should be allowed to operate commercially. And its a tough question, lots
of side issues, ramifications, etc. Like I said I am sceptical, wondering about
things like the willingness to enforce and the like.

> A government can pass any law it chooses but whether it can enforce it is
> another matter.  Would your government require that all pianos be tuned in ET
> for example?  And what amount of stretch in the octaves would it prescribe?
> What amount of tolerance would it give for pitch?  If it chose ET as the
> standard, how much tolerance would it allow for deviation or error?  What
> would it do to or with someone like me who chooses not to tune in ET vs.
> someone who tunes something other than ET only by mistake and is not aware of
> it?

I think I understand where you are coming from, <grin> knowing you as I do..hehe.

My understanding is that the government (university system) would acredit
technicians / builders, based on their passing an examination (assuming ET as a
base). Once passing and becomeing authorised, I am sure no one would have any
trouble with a tech expanding his / her skills to include HT, or for that matter
any alternative approach. The point of the required education would be to insure
that the person has the theoretical and practical fundements in place.

> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison, Wisconsin
>
> P. S.  Have I "backed off" enough?

Grin.. Today you are in Fine Form my freind.

Richard Brekne
ICPTG