Frequency accuracy

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:36:11 -0400

Newton Hunt suggests that larger quartz crystals are more stable than small
ones,
which explains the stability of the SAT pitch reference.

The size of the crystal has little to do with its stability.  Much more
important
is the design of the electronic circuit that makes the crystal oscillate.

The frequency of a quartz crystal oscillator does vary with temperature, but
not nearly so much as a tuning fork.  There are things that a designer can do
to stabilize the frequency, such as include compensating elements
(usually capacitors) that have opposite temperature characteristics from the
quartz crystal, and so cancel out most of the frequency variations.  The SAT
is, no doubt, temperature-compensated like this.

But crystal stability is not really an issue for piano tuning because the
piano
strings will vary with temperature at least 10 times as much as even the
poorest
quartz crystal.  The biggest errors in quartz frequency sources come from
initial calibration.  That is why even cheap sound cards in computers, once
they have been calibrated, become excellent secondary frequency standards
(at least for musical applications).

One well-known application for cheap quartz crystals is wrist watches.
These have very tiny 32.768 kHz crystals that cost the watch maker
about $.20 in quantity.  Yet these same crystals are able to maintain
time to within 2 minutes per month, which is, in piano tuning terms, 0.08
cents.
So you don't need a big expensive crystal to make a stable frequency source.

Also, someone mentioned the use of the dial tone as a pitch reference.  It
seems that in many areas of the USA, the dial tone is a major
third (F-A).  Some years ago I tried to get our local phone company to
commit to what the accuracy of that A-440 was, but they could give me no
assurances that any particular accuracy would be maintained.

Robert Scott
Ann Arbor, Michigan