Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:03:08 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/99 1:21:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
writes:

<<
 Thought I would share with you the following information.

 In Norway, there is a proposal before the government to restrict by law the
 useage of the titles "Piano Tuner" "Piano Technician", and to forbid anyone
 from selling work on pianos unless they are certified. The Association is
 working actively here to find an acceptable curicculum and examanitions
 proceedure to be included at the University level of study for those
interested
 in becoming techs. The proposed testing is quite involved and includes a good
 deal of rebuilding skills, tuning theory, and of course a tuning and
regulating
 exam. It would take 2 - 3 days to accomplish. 4 years of study would be
 required.

 The proposed law has actually a reasonably good chance of being passed. Seems
 like the biggest hinder at this point is how exactly to set up the course for
 study.

 In light of recent discussions regarding the Journal CD, I thought this might
 be of interest. I am skeptical to the proposed law as I question whether the
 authorities are willing to enforce it or not. If so.. then I would support
it.
 If one is first going to restrict a trade (electricians, plumbers, pianowork,
 or any other trade), it must be done by law, and with the sole purpose of
 preventing those who are not competent in any given field from takeing money
 from the public for such work.

 Finland has such a law, and to my knowledge it is very workable. This of
course
 does not prevent someone from tinkering with their own piano, or a friend
from
 talking you into tinkering with yours. But it does severely limit amature /
non
 proffesional work.

 If the law is passed in Norway, no one will be able to advertise, accept
 payment for work,  use the titles, or in anyway perform any tasks of a piano
 tech in any commercial sense unless they have authorised  certification from
 the acrediting authorities in Norway.

 Richard Brekne
 ICPTG

 We had a situation where a local technician was asked to set up a curriculum
based on a journeymans level approved by the state. He asked our opinion and
we felt it was too much regulation and the last thing we wanted is for the
government to interfere with our business.  I can see why some countries want
to regulate the technician to keep the quality of service on pianos in check.
Here we have schlock technicians and they can hurt the industry with cheap
and low quality service.  But I would much rather deal with schlocks rather
that have government interference.

Many of my clients ask if the PTG is a union or licence to practice piano
technology.
We know it is not. The PTG encourages excellence.  We test to see how we
stand out to the best technicians in the world.  We have local, regional, and
national conferences to learn more about piano technology.

If the client wants cheap work, he or she will get it.  It is a free world.
If he or she wants quality work, he or she is willing to pay more for it.  It
is good to demand technicians to perform quality work.  But the government
should not mandate it.

My humble opinian of course.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter