Frequency accuracy?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:17:12 -0400

Newton, when you say:

>If the lights on the SAT are unchanging for several seconds after
>turning it on then it is calibrated.  If your fork does not agree
>then the fork is off...period...end of story.

are you implying that the SAT can check its own calibration without
making reference to any external source of frequency?  That
doesn't seem possible.  Whatever calibration the SAT has must be
the result of an initial trimming in the factory.  After that,
you are just trusting that the circuitry won't drift too much
(probably a safe assumption, but still only an assumption).
I don't know what is being checked when the unit is first
turned on.  Does anyone know for sure?

-Bob Scott
 Ann Arbor, Michigan