Should I go or should I stay?

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:06:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/99 12:26:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lawsonic@global.co.za writes:

<< Wanted: some worldwide advice on the following decision I have to soon
 make.

 I have been offered a job far away, outside of the city of Joburg, which is
 as a full time tuner for a large company that reconditions pianos, work
 would involve tuning in their workshop and tuning their customers pianos in
 other cities as well as Joburg, making decisions on pianos to buy and
 quotations on work involoved to recondition such pianos.

 I am 40(single), I currently have my own business in Joburg as a tuner/tech
 where I have a small personal tuning clientel but do a lot of contract work
 for a Joburg piano shop doing their repairs/tunings.

 If I go I would still be able to come back to Joburg (maybe) once a month
 and do needed private calls. Do you think I should avoid becoming an
 employee but rather remain as an independant tuner, but now doing contact
 work for them?

 The actual salary offer I wont know until I meet the company owner next
 week. I believe
 in USA $36,000 is an acceptable salary for a store tuner, which is like
 saying 10 tunings
 a week at $75, so I would work out the Rand equilent if this is so, and
 work it into my decision.

 Maybe I've answered myself, I'm not really asking for a vote "go" or "stay"
 but opions, pros and cons etc.

 Brian Lawson
 ________________________
 Lawsonic Pianoforte Services
 PO Box 751097, Garden View
 Johannesburg, 2047
 South Africa

I have considered a change too, but I have been in the business for almost 20
years with a large enough clientele to sustain me.  If I were younger (I am
now 40 plus) and getting started and was offered a full time job like what
you were offered, I would probably take it.  If you happy where you are and
are earning a good living, you may want to stay put.  Keep in mind the
benefits you will have, not having to set your appointments, having a steady
salary, etc.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter