S&S green goop

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:21:05 -0700

ChrisRis@AOL.COM wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> You still haven't told me what causes the green goop on Steinway centers!
> Christopher

Dear Chris,

OK, so your question is not so much "What is verdigris?" but "Why does
it happen to Steinway centers?"  The only explanation I can offer is
that the bushing cloth must be slightly acidic and/or the alloys in the
pin are not effective in retarding corrosion.  I suspect that a chemical
analysis of both, and of the verdigris itself, would put the matter to
rest and give you the answer you're seeking.  That's a worthy project,
but I don't know who's going to do it.

Paul