Laws in Norway

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:57:38 +0200

Ola Andersson wrote:

> Richard you have becomed even more norwigian than a norwigian. I will buy you a
> browncheese.
>
> But I canīt let you go with this.
>
> Richard Brekne skrev:
>
> > Hi Deb. The proposal originates from the piano tuners association in Norway. The
> > idea for this kind of thing is more a matter of undercurrents in european
> > society. This kind of thing is very acceptable here. Norway in particular has
> > lots of historical precedents for this kind of thing. And here, unlike in the
> > states, people dont think in terms of Big Brother. We trust our elected officials
> > and governent in general more then I think many Americans do. This also has is
> > roots in history. America was in no small part born by a betrayal of the people
> > by the ruling power. So I hear comments like in the post about the "tuning card",
> > and smile a bit and understand where this very real fear of governement comes
> > from. That is a real and present threat in the US, and not in little Norway.
>
> Eh? Are we living in the same country?

Yes we are,, but I have the advantage on you Ola.. I can compare to many years of
living in the US. If you live there for say 10 years or so.. you will understand the
validity of the above. Europeans are not anywhere close to as fearfull for Big Brother
as Americans are.

> > As for your other questions. Yes, all prospective piano tuners will have to go to
> > some school,
>
> Have you?

The answer is yes and no. Many seminars, conventions and lessons from certified
technicians through the years, No I did not attend a four year institution

> > or at least be able to pass the school exams (for those recieveing
> > their education from other countries).
>
> Have you?

Yes

> > Those who are already in buisness will not
> > be affected.
>
> Who told you? If the goverment goes for something you canīt tell what.

The proposed law is available for reading and it is clear on this point.

> > Thats a sore point for some, and understandably so, but it would
> > have been a sore point for others had they decided the other way around. As the
> > purspose of the planned law is forward looking (future improvements) It was
> > deemed best to formulate the proposal in that spirit.
>
> In what category do you find yourself, the first or second line?

I find myself potentially in either and the prospect of either causes me absolutey no
sweat. For me any eventuallity is no problem. As I stated last, I will simply do what
is required of me in order to satisfy the acreditation authorities. Just because there
is some buearcrasy involved doesnt spell doom for the world.

> > There are worthwhile concerns which argue
> > against such a law in this country, but fear of Big Brother is fortunatly not one
> > of them.
>
> You canīt talk for others. You can only talk for yourself.

True.. But it is my personal observation that Norwegians are less concerned with this
kind of thing. I mean you said it youself... "You are becoming more a norwegian then
even a norwegian".. tho I might point out thats a bit er... strong for someone who has
not meet me.. grin

> > Richard Brekne
> > I.C.P.T.G.     N.P.T.F.
>
> Once again gratulation with the N.P.T.F. you recived today
> I would like one myself.
> How about Bjorn W
>
> Ola "the swede" Andersson
> Bergen, Norway