Speed

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:27:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/99 9:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianoola@hotmail.com writes:

<< What is a normal customer paying for?

A customer is paying to have his/her piano tuned. For that she/he is willing
to pay a certain amount of money. How much depends on how much it is worth to
him/her. For some, it's only worth $25 every ten years. Others are willing to
pay $100 every month.

 Why is the exam so long when it doesn't fit with reality?

The reason the exam takes so long is because the examinee is not just taking
it, it is also scored during this time. The actual time the examinee is
"testing" is about 2 hours. The other two hours are taken up by scoring.

 Is it a goal for me to be able to tune a piano in 20 minutes and is it
something to be proud of?

If you can tune a piano to a customer's satisfaction, then this is something
of which you can be proud.  The question is, will the customer be satisfied?

 Where is the compromise between a  goodtuning and a fast tuning?

A good tuning is when the you and the client are satisfied with the result.
A fast tuning is when there is a deadline, and you have to get the piano in
reasonable tune before a program, or before you have to get out.  A good
tuning is not done fast, and a fast tuning will not be good.

 Is there a difference in time and price tuning a normal piano or tuning a
 concert or recording grand?

This is a wide open question, which has been discussed numerous times.  The
main concept here is how much do you charge for your service.  Most piano
tuners charge by the job.  In other words, they will charge X number of
dollars to tune a piano, regardless of how long it takes.  Others will charge
x number of dollars for per hour.  The same is applied to repairs and
regulation.  Personally I charge by the hour.  A "normal" tuning takes me a
bout an hour.  If a piano needs more time, because of various factors,
(concert prep, regulation, repairs, etc.), more will be charged, but then
only for the extra time it takes me.  If I can get the job done within an
hour, even if I have to make a few repairs or adjustments,  I will still only
charge my "normal" tuning fee.

Willem Blees, RPT
St.Louis, MO

 Locking forward for response