(Off topic) Re: internet phone chat line

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 22:25:25 -0700

I downloaded a program from Mediaring.com (or is it .net?).  A friend
told me about it.  It's free, and works great.  Just need a
headphone/mic (about $10.00 at Fry's) and plug into your sound card.
The guy on the other end has to have the same setup.  Even if you aren't
online at the time, the program activate the other's computer (it has to
be on already) to go online.  It rings once, then hangs up.  Rings
again, hangs up again.  (no long distance charges).  The other computer
goes online, your computer then goes online, and the fun begins.  The
"called" computer starts making a telephone "ring" sound so the guy
knows that he has a call.  If he's nearby, he'll answer and you get a
"free" call without long distance charges.  There is a large icon on the
screen which has a small window in which appears some advertisements.
That pays for the whole thing I guess.  It works great, and the sound
qualilty is very good.   Give it a try.
    Paul McCloud