S&S green goop

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:03:42 EDT

<<we (at Steinway NY) used to dip each center pin in lamb's fat
(tallow) before inserting them." >>

<<<<Ah, very interesting, now we're getting somewhere.>>>>

Christopher;
  Let's take a look at this before accepting it as completely plausible, OK?
If it was/is the center pin that was/is dipped in tallow..............why is
there verdigris on both flange centers in equal amounts on 'both' sides of
the flange ?
Do you think that the tallow would still be on the center pin after it was
passed through the birdseye?
  Would it not be more plausible that either Jim K. or Fred D., or both,
misspoke themself and said "pin" rather than 'flange'? If it were the
'flange' rather than the "pin" that was dipped before it was pinned would it
not better account for the even distribution on verdigris on both centers of
the flange?

Just a question :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)