Frequency accuracy?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:01:47 -0400

Frank,

  I did not mean to imply that RCT's were not properly calibrated.
Even though the separate quartz tone source supplied with the RCT
is inexpensive, it may still be very accurate. (After all, providing
a single accurate tone reference is the only job it has to do!)
I only raised the issue in order to highlight where the accuracy was
coming from.  It cannot come from anything within a PC because the
makers of PCs and soundcards do not take the trouble to ensure that
any of their clocks have absolute accuracies better than 2 cents.
Any tuning program running in a general-purpose PC must be calibrated
at some time in their life to an external reference.  PC tuning
programs do work off an internal clock in the computer, but only after
the program has taken into account the calibration error of that
internal clock.

Frank Cahill wrote:

>...I find that very interesting.  If you are correct, there could
>be alot of RCTs that are not properly calibrated.  I assumed that the
>RCT worked off an internal clock in the computer.

-Bob Scott
 Ann Arbor, Michigan