Frequency accuracy?

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:53:05 -0400

Don wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bob is correct--except that the calibration device is for the windows
> platform only. And the device sent is calibrated by Dean out to 2 decimals
> so 0.00 cents accurate.

Hi, Don. Well this kind of accuracy should be more than adequate.  I'm
not familiar with the RCT...although I've seen them at the shows.

Now here is the REAL question...what is Dean using to calibrate these
devices? Can they be traced back to an unquestionable source?

I'm just playing devil's advocate.  My point here is that no calibration
is worth a darn if it isn't calibrated against a reliable source.  I've
spoken with Dean and he once was an engineering student. I'm very
impressed with what he has done and I doubt he'd overlook the proper way
to calibrate his product.

It's been a good discussion that should educate folks about accuracy of
electronic equipment.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild