Speed

Albert Walter Thomas athomas642@mindspring.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:02:58 -0500

Hello list,
    As a pianist as well as a tuner-technician, I enter my 2 "cents" worth
thusly: Beware of cleaning keys before a concert without consulting the
artist!  My favorite example: I prepared a D for Bela Davidovich, before the
rehearsal with the orchestra, and came back to prepare it further for the
concert, to find that a local piano teacher/concertseriesofficial had
cleaned the keys. Ms. Davidovitch was horrified, and , thinking I had done
it, came over immediately to tell me to please not change the
texture/friction/feel of the keys by cleaning them again! She had just
barely gotten them back toward the feel that she found when she first tried
the piano. Back in the days before air conditioning was common, we used to
rub our hands on the bottoms of our shoes before going onstage, espec. in
summer in the Southeast U.S., to reduce the sweaty slipperiness.
     One other "note", concerning a post from someone no longer on the list:
(sorry if detailitis but may be interesting to some):  Artur Rubinstein (of
Poland,  U.S.,....~~France.....   )was a 'fantastic-genius' concert pianist,
who by his own admission did not take too many tries before determining that
composing was absolutely not his forte' (is this getting worse or what?
hehe)......the composer-pianist was Anton Rubinstein of Russia....no known
relation.
    Albert Thomas
    Auburn University
    Thomas Piano Sales and Service

P.S. Also answering the PTG membership thread, I am replete with
bravos/bravas for PTG, but I was interrupted from the joining/testing
process years ago, by an "unbelievable" series of personal and career events
that continue to this day.....so must join after these metamorphoses are
complete, fairly soon.