Damper Voiceing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:59:06 -0600

Hi Richard,
                  I have several samples of different readily available
damper felts and some thoughts on each.

Yamaha standard grand and CF damper material Both types are firm and
resilient. It is with out doubt the most accurately cut felt in the
industry, this is worthy to note as it makes tri damper alignment very
easy,  the securely sewn treble damper material gives four nice clean
contact points. The tri damper felt fits nicely between the strings of most
pianos.  My number one choice for grand rebuilding.

Steinway (New York) Felt quality similar to Yamaha. I like the tapering of
the uni cord felt.
The quality of cut on their tri dampers is poor, all too often one V is
significantly thicker than the other, this leads to significant regulation
hassles.  they are also a little thick for my liking, and don't slip
between the strings as well. The sewn damper felt is a little short for my
liking.  The Hamburg Steinway's that I have seen, seem to damp better than
the New York counter parts. Maybe Renner felt? Or superior techs?  If
Hamburg is using Renner damper felt, this could be a good choice for
supply.  Now I have to jump into a bunker put on a flame suit and get some
protection. I criticized the big S.

Renner all round good quality and accurate cutting, I have not used their
sewn material for years, so no comment.

All the above have the grain running with the string.

Lareaux (France)  Grain runs in the opposite direction. The supply that I
have is backed with good quality Red backing felt. very deep and sharp V
cuts. Invariably I have had to trim the tip of the V to obtain good string
clearance. Felt tends to bunch up with time. it's soft as previously
described.

For verticals I mainly use Renner tri bass dampers to enhance damping on
the larger old upright's. This will usually mean that the system has to be
modified to match bass geometry to treble.

All three major damper felt suppliers should be easy to locate in Europe,
if you have problems let us know.

Hope this helps.
Roger

At 05:21 PM 20/06/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Thanks Roger, Jim, Brian and others for the response. Roger, I wonder if
you have
>any addresses for ordering any particularly good felt. The Yamaha I can of
course
>get anytime, but you also mention French felt.
>
>The characteristics of felt used in damper felt is not useally mentioned
in the
>suppliers catalouges, at least not the ones we get over here.
>
>Your paragraphs on your observations on damper felt were illuminating and
very
>welcome. Damper regulation has never been my strong suit, tho I suppose I
will
>have to bring that up to full speed quick enough now. However my routines
are good
>enough that I will give your proceedure a try after the summer break
Thanks again
>one and all.
>
>Brian, I love your exuberance... you will go far, no doubt about it
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G   N.P.T.F

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre