West 301 for Pin treat?

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:51:52 -0500

BSimon1234@AOL.COM wrote:

> Some people on this list have mentioned that they have used Epo-Tek #301
> epoxy. ( from Epoxy Technology)

> <snip>

> Has anyone used it (#301) as a pinblock treatment while the pins were still
> in place? Apparently it is very thin.
>
> Bill Simon
> Phoenix

I'm not certain what epoxy you are refering to.  I have used the West System.
It is an excellent product.  This would refer, however, to epoxy #105.  It is
available through pianotech.  It can also be obtained through many marinas.

This is the thinest epoxy that I have ever seen.  It is great for repairing
loose bridge pins, however you would still need to remove the pins.  This isn't
a difficult task since they are loose anyway.  In such cases you might as well
replace the pins while you are at it.  I have had fantastic results.

As far as using it for pin blocks I have never heard of such a thing.  I suppose
you could try it.  West System can be made even thinner by adding a small amount
of laquer thinner to it.  This will eventually evaporate leaving just the epoxy
behind. I'm not sure, this may effect the chemestry of the stuff making it
weaker to some extent, however I have never noticed such a reaction.  The epoxy
requires 24 hours cure time.  There is a five-minute hardener available for it
but this will take a significant amout of the strength away.  Anyway, this is
thin stuff and it may fit what you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Rob Goodale, RPT