material for go-bars

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:11:57 -0600

At 02:43 PM 6/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Guy,
>
>What kind of wood did you find worked best?

White ash was pretty good. Red oak actually works well, but the overall
length has to be very close. Steaming the red oak helps, and you'll throw
away half of it. Dip the ends in shellac or Varathane (or any poly-ized
oil) and let dry. We ripped our ash to about 3/8 minimum, and 5/8 max.
Depended on grain. Try four the quartersawn, of course. Did a couple of
laminations, too, from some leftovers. Ash with walnut, 2:1. Flexable
contact cement. Ok, but more of a pain than plain ash. I've seen places
that use spruce and/or premium pine. Wouldn't wanna see how long that would
last at 20 percent RH max.

>I'm having problems with
>resiliancy and breakage.

Check your grain, and keep your lengths to a minimum. Caps can help give
you a little versatility if you're running short, like with thin ribs.
What are you using up top? We kerfed masonite 1/4" 4x8 panels, to a depth
of about 1/16", about 1ft squares. The "back" side, of course. I've heard
that pegboard works, but it's not cheap, either.

>Mark Story, RPT

Guy Nichols, RPT