Upright Action Mounts

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:43:28 +0200

Hi list

Going on vacation soon,, but before I do I just wanted to throw in one I
bumped into yesterday. I have been doing a bit of work on an older
Rønisch piano. We had it in the shop and stripped it down, tried my hand
at french polish (which by the way is like really tough to get any real
written information about), restrung, new hammerheads, new keytops etc
etc.

I have been haveing trouble keeping it regulated well, and was beginning
to wonder what the frog was going on when I happened to notice yesterday
that there was a big screw on the back side of the action at the "V"
break on the plate that wasnt sitting really all that tight against the
peice of leather glued to the plate right there. So I gave it a couple
quick twists, made sure it was firm against the plate and  "Voualala.."
The thing felt about 10 times more solid and firm to play on. I whipped
through the regulation once more and this old beater played like a
dream, damped much better and the action was a bit quicker.

Now being a rather seasoned salt I should have perhaps known to check
this screw, probly should have learned this one about 20 years ago. I
have seen this screw often enough without ever paying more attention to
it then to make sure it wasnt rattling against the plate. (DUMB !) It
had frankly never dawned on me that this screw being a bit to far away
from the plate could make so big a difference.

When thinking about it it only makes sense of course. This is usually
found on older pianos that have just two action brackets. This makes for
a weak construction with a long span of wood for the main rail.
Stressing the rail outwards just a bit from the plate by turning this
screw out enough provides for a good deal of added stability, both
vertically and horizontally.

I write this all (in all humbleness for my lack of observation through
the years regarding this) as I figured I probly wasnt the only one to
miss this little guys importance. So anytime you run into one of those
old fellows with two action brackets and this "push screw" at the V in
the plate, make sure to check it. Perhaps it is not always so critical,
but in this case it made a world of difference.

Anybody out there who has a more "school book" description of the reason
for this screw ??

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.