string replacement

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:27:04 -0700

JSmith(I think) wrote:
I know that replacing strings is an easy repair for some of you, but I
have
just not had a lot of experience doing this. I have to replace an E-4
string
in a Kohler & Campbell console for a church.
Any tips, thoughts, caveats, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

About 2 years ago, I bought "The Stringer" from Pianotek Supply Co. I
used it for the first time last week. It's a good tool. It's a hollow
brass tube into which the string is inserted(after bending it in half to
make the hitchpin loop). The tube can be slid behind the overstrung bass
strings, the loop fastened to the hitchpin, and the tube pulled off the
string. You could also devise a home-made tool to serve the same
purpose.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ