Pitch Floating

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:53:02 -0600

>...That's what I usually do, but have been curious about which note (or
>area) you "floaters" use to determine the pitch level...
>Avery

Nobody's mentioned it yet, so I will.

After strip muting I visually read the notes on each piano usually from A1
up through C7 with RCT to get a general idea of pitch location, make the
necessary pitch adjustment, and reread the piano as often as necessary to
eventually make a decision on where to float the pitch.

Before I owned RCT, I did the same thing with the SAT unit.  Both are
invaluable for this one procedure.  The visual readout takes very little
time, provides a tremendous amount of information, and accomplishes the
least amount of tuning changes possible when allowable.

Keith McGavern
kam544@flash.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731