"consult"

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:53:24 -0500

I had a most 'interesting' consultation this week.  A man called me to
say he'd like me to come look at the nine year old Steinway upright he
was about to buy, from the local Steinway store.   Asked why he didn't
have them look at it, he thought they might be too busy........  He
wanted me to come that very day, virtually immediately.

He had a nice 20 year-old Yamaha in the other room, but the action was
"too heavy"  for his tastes.

Now the problem with the Steinway, "Well, about every fifteen seconds, a
note (not the same note every time) simply fails to play", and he
couldn't understand it.

I arrived and told him to play a bit. '"I'm not too good yet", he said,
and proceeded to attempt to play the Mozart C-Major sonata, and sure
enough, every once in awhile a note simply didn't play.  This is not
including those notes that he played wrongly.  Asked how long he'd
studied, this forty-years, plus, person said, "Four weeks."

I was almost embarrassed to take his money, since the piano was in
excellent regulation, such that one could almost breathe on the key just
before let-off, and the note would sound ever so delicately.  I even
tried not to take his money by telling him, over the phone, the likely
cause................   But I took the money and smirked as I climbed
into my little truck and drove all the way across Houston to home.

les