Key Leads

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:01:52 -0500

For some reason types of problems seem to come in waves. This week I looked
at three grands, all in not great but workable shape except for key leads
swollen beyond belief. In the past, on antiques esp and the modern grand
with the occaisional problem Ive simply shaved off the excess with a
freshly sharpened chisel to avoid raising lead dust and staining the key.
These are not great pianos, up to four 5/8" leads in the bass, badly
corroded, signs of previous belt sanding to correct the problem. My
inclination is to replace all the lead in each keyboard, repairing the
cracks that are starting to appear in one of them as I go. My question is
how do I make sure this wont recur? Obviously on two of these someone
roughly sanded the key sides/leads to free them up and the problem came
back with a vengeance. Any suggestions for preventitve actions?

Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
Algiers Piano Works, Ltd

Restoration and Tuning of