Kohler & Campbell pedal assembly

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 08:40:38 -0700

List,

A new customer of mine has a three-year-old Kohler & Campbell grand.
All three pedals were loose and rattling, so I offered to look at it for
him.  Turns out there is a two part metal housing into which the pedal
pins fit.  The two parts are then clamped shut to hold the pins/pedals
in place.

Except in this piano.  There are holes through the housing for four
screws/bolts to hold it together, but no fasteners.  My guess is that
screws are supposed to be used to fasten the whole thing to the bottom
plate, although it's conceivable that they fasten upward into the bottom
of the lyre.

Also, there was no bushing between the pins and the housing.  I assume
that this is also a factory omission, and I'm guessing that they would
probably have used key bushing cloth, with the ends sandwiched between
the two halves of the housing.

Anyone know for sure how it's supposed to be?  Also does anyone have the
e-mail address of Richard Austin, who is listed as the tech support
contact for Samick?  I've called and left a message, but their 800
number is apparently not for use within California and I'm unwilling to
make an unlimited number of toll calls for a job that I'm not sure I'm
going to do.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA