Key Leads

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:32:59 -0500

>Brian Trout wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>
>I haven't had this problem yet.  Could you give a little more detail as to
>exactly what's happening?  Is the lead actually coming out of the key in
>such a way that it is leaving an open space behind it inside of the key?  Is
>the wood actually compressing the lead to the point of deforming the lead
>weight?

Brian: The lead is (I believe) oxidizing, kind of a grey, flaky corrosion
that is expanding outward in all directions, actually starting to split the
wood in some spots. Fairly common here in small amounts, like battery
terminal corrosion, but these cases are more extreme than Ive run into
before.

>I'm trying to get a mental picture of the root cause of the
>problem.   What kind of a climate are these pianos in? Dry? Humid? Large
>fluctuations?

Wet, wet and wet. Maybe down to 40% in a very dry Feb, usually 60%+. Most
of our fair city is at or below sea level. At least its good for your skin,
if not for metal.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Doremus RPT