Kimball regulation

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:37:30 -0400

I recently regulated a kimball vertical piano.  The only problem I
encountered was with let-off.

Normally, when the hammer reaches let-off, you can feel the jack as it
moves from under the hammer butt.  On this piano, the normal feeling was
not there...only on a couple of key was it near normal.

In the past, I've fixed this problem by increasing key height.  I tried
it on this pinao, but it didn't help.  I even put in a 0.018 punching.
No difference.

What's going on?  Could it be that the butt leather presents very little
friction to the butt or perhaps the edges of the jack are rounded off?
This piano is 20 yrs old or so, but the butt leather looks very good.

This was a strange piano...couldn't find a serial number and several
keys had been trimmed down so that the width of the key around the
balance rail was about half of what they would normally be.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild