Disney & Sons

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:03:22 -0500

Hi all,

I just got back from S. California for the weekend.  I spent
all day Sunday at Disneyland acting foolish.  Along the way
I took note of all the pianos I could find.  Here are my
observations- a little trivia for you!

1. Yamaha U1 at Coke Corner, (at end of Main Street).  Used
for Ragtime entertainment for patrons.
2. Yamaha U1 in New Orleans Square for various jazz
entertainment.
3. Yamaha Grand- (probably a C-3 or G-3) at Carnation Plaza
Gardens.  Used for various entertainment at the Plaza Stage.

4.  Small grand of unknown origin in the Haunted Mansion.
It is rigged to play itself- (piped in audio sound).
5.  Small square grand in the Pirates of the Caribbean.  It
is rigged to play itself but the sound is a recording.

Non-piano observations:
1. Mid sized Welte orchestrian in the Penny Arcade.
Unfortunately the sound was a recording.
2. Wurlitzer Band Organ, (possibly model 165?) behind the
Dumbo ride.  At one time this largely modified organ, (for
Disney theme), used to play.  Sadly it is now only a
recording.
3. A completely fake band organ on the King Arthur Carousel.

There are of course many other small instruments used
throughout the park, both in practical use and as props.  I
used to work there many years ago and I can recall two other
pianos.  One was a very ornate birdcage that was used for
display in a frontier cabin at Big Thunder Ranch.  The other
was a Seaburg "L" coin piano in what used to be called the
"Mile Long Bar Arcade".  This was in "Bear Country" which
was renamed "Critter Country" after the log ride was opened.

Well anyway there's my Disney piano report.

Zippidydooda!!

Rob Goodale, RPT