Key Leads

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 02:39:19 -0400

Dave, I'm gonna reach out with a little speculation. I don't have a lot of
emperical evidence to support these statements, just several experiences
with this phenomenon. In mentally summarizing past incidences of pianos,
their vintage, and their respective locations/environment, I'm coming up
with "patterns".

Environment notwithstanding, I'm beginning to think that lead by any other
name isn't necessary lead. Unfortunately, there aren't many -other- uses of
lead in the same piano where we can get references. So, in simplistic
terms, compare key leads with [pot metal or 'growing'] action brackets,
plastic elbows, and various other parts that don't fair well over time.

It's quite possible that key leads were/are purchased in quantity from a
sub-contractor, rather than being poured 'in-house'. It's also conceivable
that, at certain moments in history (and is still being done), either
someone had a bright idea ("let's make this better/cheaper by adding 'x' to
the mix"), or, the raw materials were actually contaminated, contaning some
foreign substance that actually causes excessive oxidizing and swelling
when exposed to time/elements.

Whether my speculation is right or wrong is up for conjecture. Also, I have
no contest with sealing existing key holes with something. However, we
already know what does -not- work (sanding, chiseling, etc.). So, the next
time I encounter this situation, I'm going with replacement key leads.

Just my take,

At 09:01 AM 6/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>For some reason types of problems seem to come in waves. This week I looked
>at three grands, all in not great but workable shape except for key leads
>swollen beyond belief. In the past, on antiques esp and the modern grand
>with the occaisional problem Ive simply shaved off the excess with a
>freshly sharpened chisel to avoid raising lead dust and staining the key.
>These are not great pianos, up to four 5/8" leads in the bass, badly
>corroded, signs of previous belt sanding to correct the problem. My
>inclination is to replace all the lead in each keyboard, repairing the
>cracks that are starting to appear in one of them as I go. My question is
>how do I make sure this wont recur? Obviously on two of these someone
>roughly sanded the key sides/leads to free them up and the problem came
>back with a vengeance. Any suggestions for preventitve actions?
>
>Dave

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.