wire curve

Mon, 01 Mar 1999 08:15:03 -0800

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi Ron:
>
> Thanks for exposing yet another myth about pianos.
>
> Here's another one. Has anbody ever deliberately put a kink in a plain
> wire to discover how much wild string effect this has? I have serious doubts
> about this one too.

Yes.  It probably depends on exactly where the kink is, but I replace several wild
sounding strings -- most recently one about four or five unisons up from the
bass/tenor break of a B -- that had kinks in them.  You couldn't really see the
kinks, but you could easily feel them.  At the same time I've had other pianos in
which you could actually see a kink in the wire but which had no audible
difficulties.

> I know, some guys and gals put kinks in wire near the bridge pin supposedly
> to seat the strings at the bridge. I think this is totally unnecessary, but
> I do not remember hearing anything detrimental to the tone because of this.
> It just looks bad.

I agree.  It is both unnecessary and it looks bad.

Regards,

Del