pitch raise

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:00:12 EST

Les Bartlett wrote:

<<I'd like some feedback on major pitch raises, as in 150-200 cents... I'm
usually about 45-60 minutes on each pass.>>

I have never felt comfortable taking a piano this flat to pitch  by
overshooting A440 by 20, or 30, or 40 cents or more sharp, although I have
seen much advice to that effect.  I would shoot for exactly A440, which leaves
it considerably flat, so you do it again. I have tuned up many pianos from
minus 150+ cents to A440, and almost never break a string. On such a piano I
do generally kick the strings flat a bit just as I tune them up, especially
when there is rust on the strings. This is a minor modification to normal
technique and is easy to "get into."   I  average about one broken string a
year.  I hate replacing strings, so I go out of my way to be gentle.  I almost
never pitch a piano to more than 12 cents sharp to raise it from any deficit
in pitch. I just make more passes.

As to the speed, I think for this magnitude raise 45 minutes is a bit long per
pass. You are trying to tune it.  Don't.  Break out of your tuning routine and
just be roughly approximate and get the tension on.  When you get it to A440,
- - then tune more carefully. ( Of course a piano that was this flat will go
out considerably in a few days, so don't do a concert tuning on it either.)

Bill Simon
Phoenix