pitch raise

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:21:48 -0500

Norm,

There is a question in my mind whether your reference to the tone
"blooming" at A-440 is fact or perception.  Maybe it's time to call in
the historians among us.  It's my understanding that A-440 was set as
international standard pitch only around 1920.  It is therefore
conceivable that pianos built before that time were not intended for
this pitch and that hearing the tone bloom is perceptive.  But then,
this may explain why some musicians ask for pitches higher than 440.  Is
there more bloom the higher you go?

No answers this time,
Clyde Hollinger

 However you did not