pitch raise

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:57:10 -0600 (CST)

Les,

   I saw your post late so didn't respond until I read the others. I knew
there would probably be a lot of duplication in the posts, so I didn't want
to add to it.
   Not that I'm any real expert on the subject, but basically, I agree with
what's been already been said. I just want to add a few comments.
   Several mentioned doing the raise all the way the first time unless
youfelt there would be significant chance of string breakage but I don't
remember anyone trying to explain how to determine this chance. If I
overlooked it, I apologize.
   The VERY first thing I do if an old piano needs a pitch raise, is check
the condition of the bridges. Especially the bass bridge/apron area. If
there are cracks starting, or already serious, there's no point in even
attempting to tune the piano. It'll only make them worse. IMHO. I won't
even accept the job if the repair can't be done first.
   If that is OK, then to the wires. The first thing I look for is evidence
of previously replaced strings. That alone, especially if in the bass or
middle of the piano, is enough for me to at LEAST give the customer a
STRONG warning about the possibility of more strings breaking. Their
expense, of course. :-) They'll sometimes break even if you end up leaving
it below pitch. As a musician, as well as a technician, I'm a very strong
believer in a piano being at A-440 if there is any possible way this can be
accomplished.
   If it's a very large pitch raise on an old upright or grand, the next
thing I do is pick out a few really bad strings in the middle, tenor and
bass areas to try and pull to pitch, more or less. While doing this, pay
particular attention to the way the string "feels". Many, if not most,
times on old, maybe rusty, strings that are close to the breaking point,
you'll feel a kind of "tight" feeling in the wire shortly before you get it
to pitch. As though the wire has lost its elasticity, which it just about
has and that it will probably break, which it usually does. Just as you get
it to pitch.
   If I feel that tightness, I will not do a pitch raise. It just gets
tuned to itself as best it can without lowering the low bass any lower than
it already is. I've even found my starting pitch, in times past, by coming
up from low C (C1) by octaves to middle C and then setting my temperament
from there. Sometimes, it almost amounts to a partial pitch raise of sorts,
to even get the middle and treble up to where the low bass is, but one can
only leave the pitch so low before there's absolutely NO tone or pitch to
speak of. Again, even in this scenario, remind the customer that there is a
possibility of breakage. That can even happen on new instruments. Although,
usually for a different reason.
   Several mentioned going ahead and pulling all the way to pitch the first
time, if everything mentioned above seems OK. I agree with the comments
about this, speed (it won't stay anyway) breaking the possible rust point
at the pressure bar, tightening plate screws, etc. The one thing I do that
I "didn't" see mentioned is, on a very large pitch raise on an old piano,
the first time I also only bring it to A-440 (as close as I can quickly).
But the second time, assuming no broken strings and that they "feel" good,
I'll do a normal overpull type pitch raise and then a fine tuning. You've
got to remember here, that I'm basically talking about raises of 100 cents
or more.
   If you end up guessing wrong and strings start breaking in the early
part of the tuning, replace those, back off and tune the piano to itself.
If they don't break until the higher treble, go for it and let them break.
I'd rather replace a few treble wires, even at a lower cost, than to go
back and de-tune the piano to a lower pitch. After all, you'll already have
your supplies and tools there and you can finish the tuning, pull the
action (verticals) and replace them all at one time.
   Just a few of my thoughts. Sorry about the length but some of the things
needed explaining a little.

Avery

>I'd appreciate some feedback on major pitch raises, as in 150-200 cents.
>I've read all this stuff on five minute pitch raises and can't quite
>figure out how one gets the time down to some reasonable period.  I'm
>usually about 45-60 minutes on each pass.
>	Specifically,  how do you determine of string breakage is going to
>be an
>issue?  On "older" pianos, do you just jerk the strings up madly, even
>risking string breakage?  I just "did" a very old one stored in a barn,
>telling the owner NOT to have it tuned as it positively would break
>strings, and four broke, with piano still at least 50-cents flat after
>three passes.   Just looking for some pracitcal wisdom.
>thanks
>les bartlett

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music