for Sale(money stuff)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:01:32 -0600 (CST)

Hi Mike, stuff interspersed..

>Hi Ron,
>    Don't get me wrong,  I only wonder if there aren't some myths
>concerning the merits of new soundboards, and i don't pretend to know
>what they might be.

* Well, it is a fact that a new soundboard isn't necessarily a better
sounding soundboard just like it's a fact that a new action doesn't
necessarily work better than the old action. Just replacing parts with other
parts that sort of look like the old parts doesn't mean we did good unless
we understand how the thing works in the first place. It is also a fact that
brand new, right out of the factory pianos with high prices and revered
names have soundboards that aren't adequately functional. This happens a
whole lot more than you may be aware of. The designers and installers do
have to know what they're doing. Since some of these pianos with revered
names have been using the same designs for the last hundred years, I expect
they had the same problems then as they do now, and for exactly the same
reasons. The rebuilder that meticulously duplicates the old soundboard,
using the traditional assembly methods, is duplicating the mistakes and
inefficiencies of the old designs.

>Occasionally old boards sound darn good when
>restrung and given a new action.  I can even think of one with no
>visible crown and very minimal to 0 bearing which sounds good. Some
>restrung twenty years ago with the original board still sound good,
>(granted most don't).

* We've all heard old boards that sound better than they should. The "most
don't" is where it's at here. Everyone gets lucky once in a while.

>Who replaces a soundboard without replacing
>everything else too?  So are we sure it's really the boards?

* I think the "most don't" above, with the old boards and new everything
else should help narrow it down. We have to account for as much of the
available evidence as possible with ideas like this, rather than using the
exception to support any particular view. Del has done (will do?) a class on
voicing the soundboard, or rather, separating hammer caused tone problems
from soundboard caused ones. I haven't seen his (yet, but I will if I get
the chance), but I'm going to try a sort of mini version of something like
this in the technical work skills class in KC this year. I hope we can hear.

>I just
>found the prices interesting since so many in the guild hold that the
>40+ boards should generally be killed.  Apparently somebody values them.

* Not necessarily. There is an effective ceiling price on any particular
piano in any particular part of the country. If a rebuilt piano with the old
soundboard will bring that ceiling price, replacing the board would only
mean that the tech is losing money, because he won't be able to go high
enough over what the local market will bear to recoup the cost of board
installation. The less money and labor you have in a rebuilt piano, the
higher your profit margin. The customers don't know soundboards from plates,
for the most part, so they're going on the brand name, the name of the
seller, the price, the generic designation "rebuilt", the furniture, and
maybe the sound. Under these conditions, the only one who values the old
board is the rebuilder. A rebuilder who customarily replaces soundboards,
and produces rebuilt pianos of consistently (possibly dramatically) superior
sound will attract a different kind of customer who will likely be willing
to pay over the local ceiling rate for a better sounding instrument. Like I
said, you have to consider as much of the evidence as you can.

>     One thought, the ruling grade in a concert grands' quality is the
>killer octave.  On shorter pianos like S&S Os and Bald Ls the bass could
>well be the ruling grade.

* That does seem to be the case. They seem willing to ignore anything the
killer octave (doesn't) have to offer while raving about the bass. I've
heard it lots of times.

>Isn't it true that bass tone improves when
>the board loses some crown and grows tired?  Makes me wonder if the new
>boards are so manditory in the less than seven footers.

* I've never heard that one, but let's look at it. Logically, when the crown
of a compression crowned board lowers with cumulative compression set, the
impedance would lower too. This should make the bass louder, and you
probably wouldn't notice any shortened sustain because of the string mass
involved. At the same time, though, the impedance of the low tenor area
(being roughly the same area of the SB as the low bass) would drop below
what the strings need and the tenor would get tubby sounding. The same thing
would happen in the killer octave, only the frequencies are higher, and the
string mass is lower, and the shortened sustain is very evident. This sounds
a lot like what you find in old pianos with tired boards, doesn't it? Makes
me more convinced than ever that new boards should be mandatory in anything
at all worth rebuilding in the first place. Not that It will happen.

>-Mike
>careful now, I'll be 40 this year!

* Uh oh, WARRANTY ALERT - WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP - DIVE - DIVE. Um... how's your
soundboard holding up? Just a harmless belly question. %-)

Break's over, back to work.(dive, dive)
 Ron