Teflon Steinway - Solutions?

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:46:38 -0500

----------
> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Teflon Steinway - Solutions?
> Date: Thursday, March 04, 1999 8:40 PM
>
> At 07:23 PM 3/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Jon writes:
> >
> >>Teflon shrinks in moisture. If it is moved to a dry climate it will
tighten
> >>up.
> >
> >   Hmmm,  I have never noticed that teflon changes with humidity,  the
wood
> >around it, yes,  but the teflon itself?
> >Regards,
> >Ed Foote
> >

> Pianos with teflon bushings develop clicking noises when they are moved
> Cape Cod.  The clicking jack bushing is a real bear to track down.
>
> Regards,
>

> Jon Page
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
Guys,

It may be possible to rebush teflon with felt.  The early teflon bushings
were "small" and the later "large".  If you're working on the small ones,
try removing them, inserting a properly "ripped"  strip of bushing cloth in
the holes, insert a #19 center pin (aka"wedding" pin) and placing a tiny
dab of glue where the cloth meets the wood.  You may have to use a somewhat
larger pin if a #19 is loose in the flange hole.

Trying to make teflon work is a frustrating and virtually impossible
proposition.  Even Steinway got tired of if ( maybe all those lawsuits made
them give up).

A. Grudko