Octave Stretch in other Lands

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 20:07:21 EST

Jim writes:
>Isn't a 2:1 octave one octave, and a 4:2 a double octave, and a 6:3 a triple
>octave?
>If so, then doesn't that render moot your question and if not so, then
>I would like to know the answer to the question you asked also :-)

Greetings,
     This is not the first time I have sent an unclear message!  (:?)}}
     What I meant is that it is not possible to have two notes, one octave
apart, tuned so that all coincident partials will match with a Just ratio,
i.e. if you have the fundamental of the upper note exactly on the 2nd partial
of the lower( what I mean by a 2:1 octave),  then the fourth and the 2nd
partials are not going to be the same, nor the 6th and 3rd.  To match these
up, the octave must be widened until you have what you want.

Regards,
Ed Foote