Sharp leveling

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 21:30:24 -0600

In leveling the sharps on my old upright/cadaver, most of them when
leveled at 1/2" above the white keys (which were leveled first), the key
sits noticably higher than the adjacent white keys at the balance rail.
Reblitz notes that the top of the wood part of the keys should be about
the same height for both sharps and whites.

Obviously, on this piano, I can't do both. Granted, the sharps may be
worn slightly (I repainted them) but I wouldn't think they would be worn
that much. Which is preferable, sharps 1/2" above whites, or top of keys
(excluding keytops/sharp cover) level?

Thanks, and I hope my scenario is clear.
--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX