Sharp leveling

barre46@ibm.net barre46@ibm.net
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 00:45:26 -0600

Jerry Hunt wrote:

> Obviously, on this piano, I can't do both. Granted, the sharps may be
> worn slightly (I repainted them) but I wouldn't think they would be worn
> that much. Which is preferable, sharps 1/2" above whites, or top of keys
> (excluding keytops/sharp cover) level?
>
> Thanks, and I hope my scenario is clear.
> --
> Jerry Hunt
> Dallas, TX

Hi Jerry,

You have to go with what works. If you want the sharps 1/2 inch above the
whites, the sharps would have to be 1/2 inch high. The important thing is
that the sharp, regulated with the proper aftertouch, does not come too
close to the adjacent white keys (at least 1/16th above). The exciting thing
about this vocation is the variables. The manufacture's specifications are a
starting point and from there you proceed to make it work. It is not
important that the top of the keys is level or that the sharps are exactly
1/2" high but it is important that the piano plays well. You have to use
your best judgment about what is best for this piano based on the piano and
the requirements and preferences of the owner. This is a lot to ask for and
it is why we should never quit trying to learn.

Norman Barrett
Memphis, TN