teflon thingee test

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:51:37 EST

et al;
  I conducted the teflon bushing test on three hammers from a set of
hammers/shanks removed from a S&S 'D' I didn't write the serial number on the
box so I can't tell you when it was made but it has the larger
bushings......... I used three hammers  No.1, No. 20, and No. 46.  The results
were fairly even so I will just report from the No. 20 hammmer.
  Method used:
Flange gram resistance-- I put my gram sclae on the work bench and placed the
hammer so that just the flange tip was resting on the scale while holding the
hammer in contact with the table.  I then dipped the shank until the flange
moved and recorded the gram force needed to move the flange.  While probably
not the most accurate method, all the readings will be relative....I think.

Swing test--With flange held  in a bech vice, I held each hammer at the 3
o'clock position and counted the swings until the hammer stopped.

Results of hammer No. 20:
straight out of the storage box:
GR=5.1
Swing=5
After 20 minutes soaking, still wet and dripping:
GR=3.4
Swing=12
After blowing off with air gun:
GR=4.3
Swing=10
After drying in the sun 1 hour, 76 Degrees @60% humidity:
GR=7.2
Swing=4 (actually 3.5+)

 So what does this mean?...danged if I know but there it is :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)