separated bass bridge

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 15:13:14 -0700

John,
 Is the piano strung or unstrung? Use wood doughnut screw grommets that
hold the bridge as a benchmark to locate new holes for screws to hold the
bridge in regluing it. try to align the new screw holes so that the screw
will go into the rib. Counter sink the screws so that the string does not
make contact with the new screws. Apply glue and use the screws to clamp
the bridge back down.
Joe Goss

----------
From: John M. Formsma <jformsma@dixie-net.com>
To: PianoTech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: separated bass bridge
Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 2:08 PM

Greetings, All.

I have searched in the archives, the PTJ's that I have access to, and the
Reblitz book; but have not seen instructions on how to reglue a bass bridge
that has separated from the soundboard. The piano is a BOU (big old
upright), and the bridge is completely separated from the soundboard.

The only repair procedure that I've seen that comes close was described in
the Reblitz book for repairing a loose soundboard rib.  1/4" holes are
drilled thro soundboard and rib, into which are placed threaded rod with
washers and nuts (to act as clamps). After glueing, the bolts are removed
and dowels are inserted to replace the rods.

Would a procedure like this work for a bridge as well???  Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John Formsma

P.S. The piano may not be worth the repair, but in its present condition,
if
I botch it, it is no great loss either.