Teflon thingees

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:03:52 EST

Del,

I defer to your experience on the durability of the teflon bushings.  I am
sure you have serviced many more than I have.  Maybe you are right;  the
problem was not the expansion and contraction of the wood around the bushings,
but instead it was the result of improper reaming and fitting techniques.  Do
you have anything to add to the Steinway bulletin regarding servicing teflon
bushings?    There are still quite a number of teflon actions in service.
Would you mind being more specific about the various techniques - types of
reamers, the acceptability (or not) of the centerpin rolled in a file, etc?

I am interested in the comments of others who have serviced a considerable
number of these actions also - do you mind speaking up here?   Thanks -

Bill Shull
U of Redlands, La Sierra University

<< That 99.9% of the clicking problems and the high friction problems that
developed
 with the later (larger and much improved) bushings were the result of poor
pin
 fitting is also ignored.  Fitted correctly these bushings worked
exceptionally
 well for very long periods of time.  And when they did rarely cause problems
they
 were very easy and predictable to repair.  If the correct procedures were
 followed.  But, when you have both the factory representatives and the bulk
of
 the teaching technicians demonstrating incorrect servicing procedures on the
poor
 things, the chances of that work being done correctly decreased to virtually
nil.

 End of second rant for the day...

 Regards,

 Del >>