String Breakage

Rhose Caught rhose@accessnt.com.au
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:43:32 +0930

Hi List,

String breakage, I never got  all the answers on this subject so I will =
ask, why do the strings break at the point where the wire starts curving =
around the tuning pin?

I have a CF Yamaha in my care that is now breaking strings in the bass =
A0, B1 & G1.  All singles. So far. All T pins are loose.

History.  The piano has been stored in  a 5% humidity environment,  the =
tuning pins are loose some very loose, and over the last 5 years the =
piano is constantly out of tune with pins slipping.  Constant spasmodic =
tuning,

The owners wants to know what is the cause of the breaking strings ?  =
What is the cause ?

I have read most of what was said on this subject but I can't recall if =
an answer was given.

Please help me give the right information to the owners.

To me, I am querying the clues given in this thread and am offering and =
asking for assistance in either proving or disproving the following =
theory.

Because when piano wire is down down to the required dimension, the =
outer part of the wire goes hard while the inner core remains softer.

1.     Is this process work hardening the wire in a controlled process =
and then other excessive bending causing the outer side hard wire to =
crack.  ???

2.    Should piano wire because of the hard outer and soft core be more =
likened to a metal tube filled with lead.
What would happen if you flex or bend the tube back and forth a few =
times, would this cause the metal tube to crack. ?

I am no engineer or metallurgist but this seems feasible to me.  BUT =
what do I tell the owners that caused the strings to break.

Regards   Tony Caught  caute@accessnt.com.au