Teflon thingees

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:25:43 -0800

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/99 6:34:12 PM, Bill wrote:
>
> <<"the problem was not the expansion and contraction of the wood around the
> bushings, but instead it was the result of improper reaming and fitting
> techniques.">>
>
> Bill;
>  I don't think Del said the part about the wood and if he did I don't agree
> with him.
> Expansion and contraction of the forks did cause problems on the earlier, i.e.
> smaller, versions of the bushings and only with the advent of the larger
> ribbed versions became far less of a factor.
>  'Pinning' problems with these thingees have a different sound than do
> problems with bushing insertion holes in the fork, which have a duller, less
> sharp, clicking sound.
>  Hmm........... maybe an judicious application of CA ? :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

If I said that in reference to the small bushings I don't agree with me either.
But, as I also said, the small bushings -- whether plain or ribbed -- should never
have been produced in the first place.  With the final version -- the large,
ribbed variety -- it was the poor factory pinning and incorrect field servicing
procedures that killed them off.  Not their susceptibility to moisture content
changes in the wood fork.

Wood expansion & contraction posed essentially no problem with the larger, ribbed
bushings.  At least not in my neck of the woods where we had pianos going out to
homes in wet and lush valleys and the high, dry central desert, to mountain cabins
up around the ten to twelve thousand foot level where they were only heated on the
weekends when the wood stove was fired up, to coastal, ocean front condos, etc.

Regards,

Del