teflon thingees

fndango@azstarnet.com fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:25:16 -0700

Bill Shull - Do you have a teflon bushing kit (from S&S)? I don't have a
file of S&S bulletins, but one tip you won't find in any of them is that
the fluted reamers may be too dull. This has been my experience and I
have heard it from someone else as well. Pianotek sells a fluted reamer
kit. That might be a good investment. One other tip: if you find a
crooked jack (rubbing against window in rep. lever), you probably can't
use the usual method to straighten it without damaging a teflon bushing.
(The usual method is to brace the ear of the wippen part of the flange
towards which you want to move the jack, and tap the top of the jack
with a hammer ((not too hard)). That will bend the pin and move the top
of the jack.) Instead, you can prebend a centerpin. The bends need to be
at the points where the side surfaces of the jack meet the ears on the
wippen. You have to grasp the pin with smooth jawed pliers so as not to
damage the pin. After you have inserted the pin and before cutting it,
rotate it to center the jack in the window. You can't use the precut
pins for this application.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ

P.S. Happy Birthday, Newton!