Renner

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:57:04 -0600

I would recommend using the Renner shanks designed for the New York S&S,
>NOT the German S&S.  That is what they are designed for and will give
>the best results.  If this is why you are questioning flange thickness
>then there you go.  Send them back and re-order the correct New York
>ones.

>Rob Goodale, RPT

Dear Robert,

At our school of music we have American Steinway grand pianos with factory
original shanks with at least three different knuckle placements: 15.5 mm,
16.2 mm & 17 mm.  The latter is the current New York factory production
dimension, the so-called "improved" dimension.  This is also the current
Hamburg dimension and has been for some years.

Renner USA offers Steinway shanks & flanges with these three dimensions as
well.  So, I would ask, which of the three would you say is designed for
the American Steinway?  Also, which will work best and why?  What about the
other variables, such as the repetitions and capstan placement, not to
mention the preferences of the pianists who will be using the instrument?

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music