If it worked, the technique is right! Richard L. Hopkins

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:36:04 -0600

Bill Simon,
At 22:52 3/9/99 EST, you wrote:
>Someone wrote:
><<If it worked, the technique is right. If it doesn't, you made a mistake. >>
>Would any defenders of this sentiment please raise your hands? ( And, your
>voices in support!)

Flame suit firmly in place... hands poised lightly upon the keyboard..

>For those with your hands raised, you will love the following quick and easy
>repairs I once saw on a grand piano.
>Repair #1 -       i.e. Unsupported pinblock when driving pins
>Repair #2 -   -   i.e. Exorcism of damaged pinblock part (morally
equivalent to sweeping dirt under rug)
>Repair #3 -     -  or..."I'm in deep kimchee now, what can I do?"
>When I saw the piano, the pin torque was adequate, it could be tuned.  This
>genius repairman had saved this piano! “It worked, the technique was right!”

The three alleged repairs referred to above all had one thing in common.
They demonstrably damaged the piano. (You noticed them right off the bat
didn't you?)

Could you please refer back to the original post of the indefinite
antecident (I think I know what you are referring to, but you weren't
specific.) and give us your thoughts as to what you might have done under
the circumstances?  Please include time and financial constraints which may
have been placed by the customer into consideration of your choice of
repair method.

>(((((   IMPORTANT  NOTE!  -
 ----let me state categorically - THE >ABOVE   POST  IS  SARCASTIC!

Never would have guessed.

>  - I strongly recommend that no one ever repair a
>piano is such a way. ))))))

Which is why we all want to know _your_ method for that _specific_ repair,
as well as specific reasons why you placed it up with your triumvirate of
pinblock non-repairs.  The list appreciates positive input/feedback as to
repair procedures vs: posts like these of yours and mine.

Conrad
-Even at my age, still willing and able to learn new things.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The best things in life aren't things.