Steinway upright--verdigris? (long)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:48:54 EST

Patrick,

No documentation.  The only "magnification" is my fungal theory, magnified on
this list, as is my scientific prowess....  I imagine that by now you caught
Jim H's tactful, slightly gentle (priceless) note.  If I had been posting on
this list for more than a couple of months I would have gotten the flames;  as
it is, I am left twisting in the wind.  Since no one has yet posted in my
defense (anyone??)  I think me and my theory are alone.

I have been spouting the fungal theory for longer than I care to admit, for
reasons explained in my response to Jim.   No experimental research here, just
my own Higher Authorities, I guess.  I guess the Steinway green crud is only
chemical (verdigris), not also biological (green plants).  The heat treatment
seemed to back up the theory.  Still seems plausible.  Thanks for your posts.
(Hasn't ANYONE heard about this theory before?)  OK, I'll shutup till next
time.

Anyone?

Bill Shull

<< Dear Bill:
 Are you certain that "verdiris" is "the residue of fungus"? What fungus?
 Can you find spores under magnification? Did you determine it is a fungus,
 or were you told that by An Important Authority?

 I always *thought* it was a chemical interaction between the paraffin,
 acids remaining in the felt, and the  center pins. But that was because
 "someone told me so" ...

 Any documentation?

 TIA,
 Patrick Draine