Oily Soot

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:07:40 EST

In a message dated 3/12/99 1:21:21 AM !!!First Boot!!!, gnewell@EN.COM writes:

<< Before this blows up in my face, I'm not suggesting that this case is
 one of them. Still I can't help but think that if the objection is the
 smell and if something like FeBreeze can get rid of it .... Why all the
 extra trouble and expense? I really am interested in your reply and not
 just poking barbs here. Please explain.
 					Greg Newell >>

A product like FeBreeze gets rid of the odor. If that is the only problem, and
it will do the job, then that is fine. But I have discovered that soot
penetrates. It penetrates under strings, inside the hammer felt, under keys,
etc. We might be able to clean the top of the strings, but not the underside,
like at the hitch pins. The soot penetrates the understring felts, but we
can't clean the felt. The same is true for the hammer felt, the damper felt,
and even the bushing cloth. The residue will stay there, and eventually it
will create a problem. This might not happen for 10 or 15 year, but it
eventually will be a problem. I have worked on many pianos that were in a fire
20 or 30 years ago, and I can still smell the smoke, and see the residue. If
the purpose of insurance is to repair fire damage, then that repair needs to
be permanent, not just a cover up.

Wim