Explanation of Reverse Well

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:59:00 +0000

Hi Bill,

Here is what I find. 2:1 octaves in the temperament (f3-f4) using ET leads
to a sweeter but less powerful sound. Wider octaves give me more *dirt* in
the sound but correspondingly more *power*. I have been known on occaision
for a concert performance to lean into the wind as far as a 6:3 on a
Steinway D.

I try to find out what the client wants as far as octave size--if I can
ever get past the pitch correction level of tuning which makes all of the
above just an academic exercise. It is not uncommon for me to correct the
pitch quite a bit. In fact for fun I just averaged the last ten pianos I
serviced. Pitch change at A4 was 28 cents and the worst note was 118 cents.

At 03:56 PM 3/13/99 EST, you wrote:
>From what I have seen you write, you like 2:1 octaves because to you, they
>seem the "purest".  And that is your prerogative.
>
>What Werkmeister meant to say was that it is not proper to compromise an
>octave to accommodate another interval.
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/