peroxide

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:21:27 -0600 (CST)

>Now that Brian mentions it
>
>In Venezuela we do the same, we have quite a strong burning sun all year
>round, I personally by the peroxide from the grocery store in front of my
>house. There is a product here made by Miss Clairol pretty strong, it is
>called Oxidizing Cream, it comes in cream form, much more concentrate than
>the liquid staff, ( You must use gloves to use it or you get pretty severe
>burns from it, I got burned once, skin turns paper white, with and very
>sensitive) procedure is the same, Lay the keys under the sun and swab them.
>amazing results.
>
>Elian Degen
>Piano Tuner and Technician
>Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve

Hi Gang,
Elian's choice of product got me thinking about the whole process of any
application of any form of peroxide to ivories. Does this stuff neutralize
with time, oxygen, sunlight, or reaction to the ivory and what's on it? Is
it rinsed off afterward? I'd hate to find that active H2O2 oozes out to
greet the fingers of the owner with the next seasonal change. I expect we
would have heard the stories by now if it were a problem, but I was
wondering if anyone knew the stable chemical result of the process.
 Ron