Piano Sales Forces...

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:39:53 EST

In a message dated 3/15/99 9:45:46 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Bdshull@AOL.COM
writes:

<< List,

 I have followed with interest the discussion about retail sales.  I have been
 in the piano service business for about 20 years full time (started working
 with pianos in high school in 1971, and became RPT in 1984), and have an
 interest in exploring retail sales.  I have been discussing starting a retail
 sales/service business with someone in the area who has a background in
retail
 sales.  Several of you on this list run retail operations and are also
 technicians.  I am very interested in what advice you might give for someone
 considering starting up such a business.

 Bill Shull
 U of Redlands, La Sierra University
 Loma Linda, CA

Bill:

Some advice that might help.

1. Start small. Rent a small 250 square foot store on a side street, buy a few
used pianos and start selling them (If you have a nice room in your hose, you
can use that.

2. Be sure there is room for another dealer in your area. You don't want to
compete with a very successful dealership.

3. Don't give up your day job.  Your tuning business is your bread and butter.
There have been many times over the past 5 years that the tuning and repair
business paid the rent on the store.

4. Find someone you can trust to be in the store while you are out tuning.
Even if it is part time, I discovered that most people don't want to set up an
appointment to buy a piano. This person can also do your paper work, schedule
your appointments, and keep things in order while you are out there making
money.

Hope this helps

Willem Blees