Piano Sales Forces...Retail Partnership?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:45:37 EST

Willem, Jim and Roger:

Thanks for your thoughtful replies - Willem answered Brian Trout's question
well, I think (Brian?).  Still hoping that Roger might pitch in again about
Brian's question about startup too (Roger?).  I am saving them all - including
Jim's thoughtful and challenging questions.

Also:  What are your feelings about the idea of a general partnership in a
retail piano business?  I know sometime back a Journal article addressed this
issue relating to the piano service business, but what about the piano retail
side?  Two techs, or a tech and a piano retail background person?

Bill Shull
U of Redlands, La Sierra U
Loma Linda, CA

<< Bill:

 Some advice that might help.

 1. Start small. Rent a small 250 square foot store on a side street, buy a
few
 used pianos and start selling them (If you have a nice room in your hose, you
 can use that.

 2. Be sure there is room for another dealer in your area. You don't want to
 compete with a very successful dealership.

 3. Don't give up your day job.  Your tuning business is your bread and
butter.
 There have been many times over the past 5 years that the tuning and repair
 business paid the rent on the store.

 4. Find someone you can trust to be in the store while you are out tuning.
 Even if it is part time, I discovered that most people don't want to set up
an
 appointment to buy a piano. This person can also do your paper work, schedule
 your appointments, and keep things in order while you are out there making
 money.

 Hope this helps

 Willem Blees